[Steering] partial report from Usability Study

Lennie Irvin Lirvin at accdvm.accd.edu
Mon May 30 11:44:22 MDT 2005

Hi Everyone,

I have a partial report to make from the recent Usability Study conducted
on enCore beta v5 in the last two weeks.  The usability study did not test
most of the new changes Daniel has worked on(alas); however, it did test
the basic usability of enCore, and I believe will offer some good feedback
for where improvement in usability is needed.  Right now the finished
version of the report is still being edited and streaming video clips of
user's experience of problems is being included.  The finished report
identifying specific problem areas with recommendations  may not be out for
another two weeks.

Because I know you all are interested, I wanted to share the overarching
finding we discovered that explains a lot of the usability issues enCore
faces.  I ask that you look over the attachment I have sent and think about
the insight into enCore that came out of this usability study. (The rest of
my class members who conducted the usability test said it would be OK for
me to share general findings from our test with you.)  Please share your
impressions and reactions with the steering list.

I am most mindful of Daniel (and Jan) who have been the chief programmers
of enCore.  Developing a computer application, like writing a composition,
benefits from feedback, and I hope both Daniel and Jan realize that this
feedback is meant in a constructive way.   Words don't describe the respect
I have for their work, and I am hopeful that this kind of usability testing
and feedback can help improve the program.

Yours,

Lennie