[Encore] Ahoy! and a friendly request.

egoff at mindspring.com egoff at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 25 05:12:57 MDT 2009

I actually have never paid to run my own MOO. I've been running moo's since Pavel first put up lambda, well not long after anyway *grin*, and have alway used either my linux box or a friends. You have two choices in this manner..

A) As a group we find someone willing to host a linux box and we all dedicate our time and donations, since you'd have to get  business class link with a static IP so your/there ISP doesn't shut you down and will open port 80/443, and others for us.

B) Find someone who can speak really good geek and talk to the folks on Mudconnector to find a realiable host that will do web based as well as text based hosting. WolfPay, FYI, is a really nice host I know the guys from having been on MudConnect for .. hmm wow 10 yrs I think, but they do MUD's so the thought of web based connections is not something they look into.

Keep in mind text based connections are VERY small and require no overhead, per say, to run so most "hosts" don't mind. Where as web based is a very large cost and if you look at other hosting providers they charge by the amount of data, Usually a Megabyte amount per month allowance before blocking all traffic.