[Encore] Hosting for V4 was RE: Ahoy! and a friendly request.

Kevin Jepson kevijeps at telusplanet.net
Wed Jun 24 22:59:11 MDT 2009

Thanks Truna!
It was indeed a fabulous voyage.

I tried looking for hosting to do the same thing a year or so ago and
discovered that very few commercial services were willing to allow us to
open the ports. Which is understandable really as they have to protect their
other customers.

The resource requirements to run V4 of EnCore are pretty small frankly so
unless you are expecting hundreds of users at a time even a relatively low
powered windows box will have enough oomph to do the job. Winmoo works very
well for V4 no compiling necessary either.

I have run 3 complete default v4 MOOs on my windows laptop when doing
coding. (1 Ghz processor with 1.5 GB of Ram)

The limiting factor is the web server not the MOO.

You can test it out for yourself using the preconfigured Winmoo and Encore
v4 MOO with the Eweb object browser, available at the Barn here:
http://www.encore-consortium.org/Barn/files/docs/Ewebbed-enCore-V4.zip
Installation instructions are in the zip file.

When I got ashore in Grenada I actually loaded this up on my little Asus
EEEPC (800Mhz processor, 1GB ram, 4 GB HD) and was able to do some code
hacking when off watch :-) (strange how one wants such familiar things after
4 months on a ship when you've read every book in the library already).  The
EEEPC runs a customized Ubuntu Linux so I ended up running WinMOO under Wine
but it still worked literally out of the box.

I would suggest using a reasonably beefy Windows PC as the host and you
should be able to do a lot of development. You can even make it available on
the Net by just opening port 80 and whatever the two enCore ports you want
in your firewall. The only configuration issues are setting up IIS on
Windows but you can also use other lightweight freeware web servers for
development if you don't want to mess with M$'s clunky server.

The big advantages to this is cost, if you already have spare windows PC
kicking around it's free, and the flexibility to do whatever you want with
it.

For the security conscious you can lock the windows PC down so that there is
nothing running on it but the MOO and maybe an FTP server for uploading
image files for the WEB side of EnCore.

Just my 2cents worth.
Ciao
KJ